MosaicSmith Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New (old) tool for breaking curves in stained glass


Some times the 'old fashioned' way really is easier and better. Case in point the old stand-by (oil less) glass cutter . I have one of these but the constant need to dip the cutter end in oil had it sitting in a drawer as a backup only.

What I had not fully appreciated was the wonderful efficiency of the ball end for breaking out curved score lines. Especially long score lines. So simple, so quick. Just hold a corner of the glass with either fingers or pliers, tap that ball end on the underside of your score line and be sure to have that glass over a table because it will break beautifully along that line most wonderfully and unexpectedly almost every time. Or did everyone know this and I am the last?


I suppose my only excuse is that often I work with tiny pieces and it is not as much use in that case but I can assure you that this simple tool will no longer be relegated to the dark corners of a drawer but will have a home on my work desk.

Just to be fair, I do have another good tool, a type of running plier, for breaking out curves and will still use this on smaller pieces of glass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a very cool, almost foolproof, way to break out a curved score line. I use this method for most of my 'scariest' cuts. I use my rubber-tipped running pliers as I don't have a cutter with the ball on the end.

I enjoy your blogs..... great tips!

~~Margo